There are many factors to consider when choosing an edible CBD such as Gummies, and your questions may not have the straightforward answer you’d like because every person’s body chemistry is unique. That doesn’t mean you can’t equip yourself with the proper knowledge to understand how CBD edible gummies work and what to expect.
Here are few key things to keep in mind:
- Gummies is an “edible” method of consumption that has to move through the digestive system before taking effect. Because of this, they typically take longer to start working but longer to wear off, too.
- There are several factors that impact how long it takes before your CBD gummy kicks in. This includes body weight, metabolism, and recent meals.
- CBD doesn’t provide the same euphoric or psychoactive feeling as THC, so it may be hard to tell precisely when it starts working. Be patient, and up your dosage as needed.
WHEN CAN I EXPECT MY GUMMIES TO TAKE EFFECT?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions with CBD Gummies and edibles in general. No matter how you consume your CBD content, the active ingredients eventually make their way into the bloodstream—it’s only a matter of time (literally). For this article, we are focusing on edibles.
Edibles – CBD infused gummies are a type of edible, just like CBD oil-infused brownies or lollipops and lozenges. There is a difference, however, in how you consume the CBD edible:
- Ingested – Chewable edibles can take longer to take effect. They have to go all the way through the digestive system, into the liver (where the CBD concentration is somewhat reduced by the liver’s enzymes), before finally entering the bloodstream and subsequently taking effect. This process can span 30, 60, and even 90+ minutes, depending on other factors.
- Absorbed Sublingually – Lollipops, gum, and lozenges are edibles that you don’t swallow. Instead, they take a much shorter path to the bloodstream: through the mucus membranes in your mouth, specifically through the blood vessels under your tongue. This direct route typically allows the CBD product to produce results quicker. Letting a Gummy dissolve in your mouth rather than eating it whole is becoming more popular.
Taking your CBD gummy about one hour before you want the effects to kick in is a safe bet when getting started. You may notice the impact a little sooner, it really depends on the person.
The exact time frame can depend on:
- Empty or Full Stomach – Your CBD gummy has to be fully digested and absorbed before you’ll notice any benefits. If your stomach is full of non-CBD foods, the digestive system must work harder and longer before it breaks everything down. On an empty stomach, however, your CBD gummy is the only thing to dissolve.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism is a set of invaluable bodily processes, including converting food to proteins, acids, carbohydrates, and energy for your cells to function. In this case, your CBD gummy is one of the many things that your body breaks down. With a faster metabolism, you’ll more quickly absorb the CBD properties of your edible.
- Body Composition – Your body is full of variable factors that can influence how you process and absorb CBD extract. This includes:
- Bodyweight and Mass – Heavier people often require more CBD extract to feel the same effects. In turn, it takes longer to process this higher CBD concentration.
- Medications – Certain prescription drugs can alter the speed with which your body digests substances, CBD infused gummies included.
- Digestive Enzymes – Gastric enzymes are responsible for breaking down the food you ingest, which helps your body absorb the nutrients. Their speed and efficiency may be affected by certain stimuli, such as high stress.
With time, you will learn what your “average” looks like and how some of these variables might increase or decrease that typical absorption speed.
Remember to start small and build up slowly to avoid any potential side effects.
We always recommend consulting your doctor prior to adding CBD into your wellness routine.
WHEN SHOULD I TAKE MY CBD GUMMIES?
As you can probably guess, there’s no one-time-fits-all recommendation for CBD users. Some CBD users pop in a few each morning; others take their CBD gummies a couple of hours before bedtime—this depends on how long it takes for them to kick in, how long they last, and, in part, on why you’re using CBD in the first place:
- Energy and Focus – If CBD helps you feel rejuvenated and in high spirits, a gummy or two first thing in the morning will most likely serve your needs the best. If you feel the effects start to wear off midday, you may want to split your dosage half-and-half between the morning and afternoon for a consistent, prolonged result. Taking it too late in the day may, however, result in overstimulation at bedtime.
- Sleep – If you become drowsy and relaxed with CBD, ingest your gummies a couple of hours before you intend to sleep. Two hours should be enough time, but if you find the effects work quickly on you, take them closer to bedtime. The CBD should be out of your system by morning, giving you a good night’s sleep without any morning-after grogginess.
- Aches and Pains – For soothing achy muscles while on the go, try taking your CBD gummies spread throughout the day for more consistent relief. If you feel especially roused or restless, take them earlier rather than later.
For more information or if you have any other questions, please reach out to us at: email@example.com